It’s time for the SportsBiz Free Agent of the Week. Instead of featuring a top job posting, I like to feature a qualified industry professional who is looking for their next opportunity. If you are interested in being a future SportsBiz Free Agent of the Week, you can apply here.
Now it’s time to introduce our next free agent, Lori Shelton! Let’s learn more about her.
Goal: To secure a position in the sports industry focusing on providing the best possible guest experience through customer service, ticket or event operations while allowing for innovative thinking and strategic planning.
Ticket Operations, New York Mets
- Managed the billing plan process for season ticket sales and renewals, ticket kiosk functionality, analyzed and reported sales activity
- Supervision of gate sales personnel to maintain a balance between staffing requirements and customer demand and provided game day customer service
- Tracked and corrected software matters to ensure efficient sales processing and customer support
- Printing game and event tickets and processing orders
Area Director, US Open 2007
- Management of approximately 75 guest services and security staff
- Directed and organized personnel to establish a safe and efficient working environment
- Directed customer service initiatives regarding complaints, disturbances and facility-related problems
Director, Merchandise and Tickets, Hawaiian Islanders
- Evaluated ticket prices and merchandise offerings throughout comparable markets and developed pricing strategies
- Managed season ticket orders
- Identifying local merchandise and equipment suppliers to promote team brand
- Maintained communication with league officials and ownership regarding daily operations and progress
- Negotiated team coverage and sponsorship opportunities with regional media outlet
Office Manager/Operations Assistant Manager, Macon Knights/SportsTowne
- Responsible for establishment of office policies and best practices
- Oversight of ticket sales, media relations, marketing and merchandising departments during staffing transitions
- Management of seat assignment process, order processing, audit of sponsorship transactions and all booster participation and activity
- Organization and execution of three grand opening events
- Coordination of team travel arrangements and equipment ordering
- Master of Science in Sport Studies, University of Tennessee
- Bachelor of Science, Physical Education, Exercise and Sport Sciences, East Tennessee State University
- Led an active role in achieving the 2001 af2 (arenafootball2) Expansion Team of the year, which led to a new position, based on a referral from a league official, to help launch another new expansion team, the Hawaiian Islanders for the following season.
- Managing a full graduate-level course load, two internships, a part-time job and family obligations simultaneously and completing my Master’s Degree with a 3.97 GPA
- Being selected to manage a multi-million dollar project for processing season ticket payments
Sell Yourself in 3 Sentences or Less: I am a sports industry professional with over thirteen years of comprehensive and versatile experience including ticket and event operations and customer service. I have traveled to different markets and worked in both administrative and operational capacities and have worked with local, regional, national and international events. I am proficient with Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point and have experience with multiple brands of ticketing software.
You can connect with Lori through her LinkedIn page or by email at Lorimshelton@Hotmail.com. If you have an open opportunity with your organization or know of another company that can benefit from Lori’s experience, please reach out to her. I want to see this weekly feature really help some great people places into the industry positions they deserve.
Previous Free Agents of the Week:
- Mario Prosperino – Now working as a Licensing Manager with the Associated Press!
- Brendan Wilhide – Social media marketing expert and founder of Sportsin140.com
- Kerry Graue – Wealth of PR and media experience with a track record of success
- Catherine Marzi – Now working as a marketing consultant for the Langley Events Centre – Details Here!
- Jared Melzer – Now working with sports marketing & sponsorship start-up agency GlideSlope!
- Brett Bush – Great background in sports marketing and event operations
- Paul Hemingway – Experienced senior exec in corporate partnerships, marketing and communications
- Dave Cutler – Great marketing and production experience with teams, leagues and media
- Caleb Mezzy – Enthusiastic up-and-comer with a strong sales and marketing foundation
- Malir Burks – Now working as an Event Coordinator with Octagon!
- Dave Schifrin – Impressive brand management and business development background
- Add your name to this list!