Tara said on January 27th, 2011 at 11:44 am

I don’t think the answer for teams is to throw more logos around on areas that are not currently sponsored. The answer is developing more creative assets that allows for unique activation opportunities.

Lowell B said on January 27th, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Looking at today’s sports facilities, do we really need to search for more sponsorship opportunities? I know sponsorships are a huge source of revenue, but when is too much, too much?

As a New York Mets fan, I find myself extremely irritated when I walk around Citi Field because there’s more space designated for sponsorships than for the team that plays in the stadium. I think there should be a limit to the amount of signage in a stadium/arena.

Russell Scibetti said on January 27th, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I probably should have provided more context to this post.

I’m not saying that teams SHOULD sell all of this inventory. I was just trying to come up with as many options as I could for things that haven’t been done yet.

Tara – yes, logos and signage by itself isn’t enough. Any sponsorship deal that includes signage should have other elements and ways to activate in an engaging manner.

Lowell – some teams sell more locations than others. It depends on the number of sponsors, the level of their deals, etc. Sometimes less is more, but not always. Hopefully, a team never gets to the point of clutter, because then no one wins.

DaveM said on January 27th, 2011 at 2:30 pm

You’re forgetting probably the most marketable location of all – the uniform! US sports teams (with the exception of MLS) are relatively unique in they don’t allow more than the manufacturer’s logo on the uniforms. Will this eventually change?

Kwame said on January 27th, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Baseball: 1st and 3rd base coaches boxes (they never stand in them anyway). The screen behind the catcher (like the net behind the goalposts in football)

Football: The back of the coaches playsheets (they always hold them up to cover up their mouths when calling a play). The endzone pylons they would have to be a bigger than their current size but would work

Hockey: The actual puck (for those over head shots on face offs)

Bowling: The pins. The ball return. This may be done already, I don’t watch much bowling

Keith said on February 3rd, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Arena Text & Graphics makes it possible for all the fans to display text & graphics, including text and graphics (inventory) for corporate sponsors.