It’s time for the SportsBiz Free Agent of the Week. Instead of featuring a top job posting, I like to feature a qualified industry professional who is looking for their next opportunity. If you are interested in being a future SportsBiz Free Agent of the Week, you can apply here.
Now it’s time to introduce our next free agent, Dave Schifrin! Let’s learn more about him.
Goal: I’m looking for an interesting opportunity in sports marketing and management where I can use my varied general management and brand marketing experience to bring a fresh perspective to and innovate within a forward-thinking agency or organization.
At One Yoga & Spiritual Gangster – Business Director 2009 – 2010
- Drove revenue programs, positioning company for successful acquisition by a large, national retail health club chain
- Managed $1 million-plus P&L for two yoga studios and all yoga-related programming
- Developed and managed the At One Yoga brand, solidifying its place as an innovator and industry leader
- Analyzed member data to develop and track efficient, targeted marketing programs and identify optimal product pricing and product mix
- Developed and managed a collaborative program with InterContinental Montelucia Resort to drive yoga-related destination travel and provide additional services for existing customers
Athletes’ Performance & Core Performance, Director of Marketing 2006-2008
- Managed brand development, positioning, communications and tactical marketing strategies for Athletes’ Performance and Core Performance, both on and off line
- Managed brand identity development and re-branding initiative for Core Performance
- Developed marketing strategy for AthletesPerformance.com
- Managed and developed strategic partnerships (new/existing) with companies such as adidas, EAS, Gatorade, Sheraton Hotels, Men’s Health, Rodale Press and many others to increase brand exposure
- Concepted and created innovative partnership with Sheraton Hotels & Resorts to bring effective training and nutrition solutions to all Sheraton properties worldwide
- Led organizational development initiatives relating to providing world-class customer service
SportsNet, LLC (now Wasserman Media Group) – Manager of Operations & Client Relations, 2001-2004
- Negotiated professional athletic contracts for soccer players in the United States and Europe
- Negotiated endorsement, sponsorship and consulting contracts totaling over $1,000,000
- Identified, recruited and signed new clients for representation
Women’s United Soccer Association (WUSA) – Player Relations Consultant, 2001
- Coordinated athlete appearances for over 50 events nationwide
- Served as primary resource for athletes with regard to all league promotional issues
- Created reporting methods to improve communication between teams nationwide and league office
Broadband Sports/AthletesDirect.com – Site Manager, 2000
- Managed official web pages for 25+ professional and Olympic athletes
- Managed media content across 30+ AthletesDirect.com and syndicate pages
- Coordinated on-site operations for clients competing in 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia
FIFA Women’s World Cup Organizing Committee – Manager of Ticket Sales and Operations, 1998-1999
- Conducted national ticket sales initiatives which led to sales over 200 percent of initial projections
- Implemented grassroots marketing initiatives to grow awareness and support nationwide ticket sales
- Solved over 500 ticket distribution problems through case-by-case analysis
- Managed game-day ticketing and Will Call for record-setting crowds of 70,000+ and 92,000+
- Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ – MBA, Sports Business, 2006
- College of William & Mary, Williamsburg, VA –BA, Economics, 1996
Recent Accomplishments: In less than a year, I was able to position At One Yoga for a successful acquisition by a large public company. The entire process was invigorating and I’m tremendously proud of the transaction. Also, I’m still very proud of the Core Performance program at Sheraton Hotels & Resorts worldwide, which helps provide innovative health and fitness solutions for travelers. I developed the program with Sheraton a couple of years ago, but the rollout through their hotels worldwide is ongoing and proving to be a real differentiator for their brand.
Sell Yourself in 3 Sentences or Less: I’m a strategic, analytical manager with 12+ years experience. I pride myself on being able to see all sides of issues and evaluate situations and opportunities providing new perspective and offering creativity and innovation, while keeping business objectives prioritized. I’m a strong relationship builder and team player who puts clients – both internal and external – first.
You can connect with Dave through his LinkedIn page or by email at email@example.com. If you have an open opportunity with your organization or know of another company that can benefit from Dave’s experience, please reach out to him. I want to see this weekly feature really help some great people places into the industry positions they deserve.
Previous Free Agents of the Week:
- Mario Prosperino – Now working as a Licensing Manager with the Associated Press!
- Brendan Wilhide – Social media marketing expert and founder of Sportsin140.com
- Kerry Graue – Wealth of PR and media experience with a track record of success
- Catherine Marzi – Now working as a marketing consultant for the Langley Events Centre – Details Here!
- Jared Melzer – Now working with sports marketing & sponsorship start-up agency GlideSlope!
- Brett Bush – Great background in sports marketing and event operations
- Paul Hemingway – Experienced senior exec in corporate partnerships, marketing and communications
- Dave Cutler – Great marketing and production experience with teams, leagues and media
- Caleb Mezzy – Enthusiastic up-and-comer with a strong sales and marketing foundation
- Malir Burks – Now working as an Event Coordinator with Octagon!
- Add your name to this list!