It’s time for the SportsBiz Free Agent of the Week. Instead of featuring a top job posting, I like to feature a qualified industry professional who is looking for their next opportunity. If you are interested in being a future SportsBiz Free Agent of the Week, you can apply here.
Update From Malir: I am currently working as an Event Coordinator for Octagon on their BMW account. Since the free agent posting on The Business of Sports blog, I also obtained freelance work for G & D Upscale Sports & Entertainment.
Now it’s time to introduce our next free agent, Malir Burks! Let’s learn more about her.
Goal: To obtain a position in the sports marketing industry that will allow me to utilize my account management, sales and event marketing skills.
Leverage Agency, Manager, Partnership Marketing and Media Sales, 2009 – 2010
- Created the Urban Division for Leverage which represented three sports & entertainment properties
- Sold 25 television units & sports properties sponsorship assets to brands
- Established relationships with Starcom Media vest, Carol H Williams, Initiative, and Publicis Modem
Metromix.com/AM New York, Account Manager, 2008 – 2009
- Created 100 proposals and negotiated 50 contracts which exceeded sales goals by 200%
- Sole Account Manager for New York market
- Sold online advertising which included banner, video and email ads
- Planned & executed 15 events to increase brand awareness
- Trained AM New York reps on how to sell online ads
Idearc Media, Account Executive, 2006 – 2008
- Top 10 in sales out of 100 account executives
- Met & exceeded monthly sales goals of $36,000 by 200%
- Sold direct mail, magazine , yellow page, and online ads (pay per click, SEO, banner ads and directory listings)
- Created brand specific ads to align with clients overall message and mission
International Management Group (IMG), Marketing Coordinator (Football), 2004 – 2005
- Managed the day-to-day activities of 75 NFL clients
- Assisted with recruitment of the Number 1 draft pick for the 2005 NFL Draft Class
- Created marketing collateral and implemented marketing strategies for the recruitment of clients
- Acquired endorsement deals for clients
- New York Univerisy, New York, NY – Summer Intensive: Event Marketing, 2008
- Indiana State University, Terre Haute, IN – Master of Science in Sports Management, 2004
- Depauw University, Greencastle, IN – Bachelor of Arts in Communications, 2001
Recent Accomplishments: As a consultant, I secured Grey Goose as a presenting sponsor for the 2010 Forbes Billionaire Torch Awards that was on December 8, 2010 and I created a high school sports event for 2011 that a major brand is sponsoring.
Sell Yourself in 3 Sentences or Less: I am a dynamic and organized marketing professional with successful sales experience in various media forms such as print, digital, TV and OOH. I am able to generate sales leads, create & present proposals, and close deals.
You can connect with Malir through her LinkedIn page or by email at email@example.com. If you have an open opportunity with your organization or know of another company that can benefit from Malir’s experience, please reach out to her. I want to see this weekly feature really help some great people places into the industry positions they deserve.
Previous Free Agents of the Week:
- Mario Prosperino – Now working as a Licensing Manager with the Associated Press!
- Brendan Wilhide – Social media marketing expert and founder of Sportsin140.com
- Kerry Graue – Wealth of PR and media experience with a track record of success
- Catherine Marzi – Now working as a marketing consultant for the Langley Events Centre – Details Here!
- Jared Melzer – Now working with sports marketing & sponsorship start-up agency GlideSlope!
- Brett Bush – Great background in sports marketing and event operations
- Paul Hemingway – Experienced senior exec in corporate partnerships, marketing and communications
- Dave Cutler – Great marketing and production experience with teams, leagues and media
- Caleb Mezzy – Enthusiastic up-and-comer with a strong sales and marketing foundation
- Add your name to this list!