It’s time for the SportsBiz Free Agent of the Week. Instead of featuring a top job posting, I like to feature a qualified industry professional who is looking for their next opportunity. If you are interested in being a future SportsBiz Free Agent of the Week, you can apply here.
Now it’s time to introduce our next free agent, Dave Cutler! Let’s learn more about him.
Goal: To secure a position in sports marketing that will enable me to apply my well-developed skills, expertise and experience to contribute to the success of the organization.
Production Manager, Decision Resources, Burlington, MA, March 2007 – Present
- Design and produce graphics to enhance company reports
- Liaise with other departments to ensure efficient delivery of graphics
- Identify areas for improvement in the production process and facilitate implementation of changes
Marketing Consultant, Freelance, Waltham, MA, October 2005 – March 2007
- Directed marketing efforts for small business clients
- Identified and sought out new potential partnerships for clients
- Created and produced sales materials and client newsletters
Marketing Manager, Sports Illustrated, New York, NY, November 2002 – October 2005
- Managed department’s relationships with professional sports leagues and various vendors
- Produced 6-7 direct response television commercials annually for Sports Illustrated
- Conducted quantitative analysis to review performance of new campaigns, media buys, etc.
- Managed selection, ordering and inventory management for all licensed products
Marketing Coordinator, NBA, New York, NY, September 2001 – November 2002
- Directed local sales initiatives in NBDL markets
- Serviced NBDL partner accounts with Fortune 500 companies
- Managed new business development within the NBDL & WNBA
- Sourced and contacted new business prospects to pitch advertising and sponsorship deals
Marketing Associate, New Jersey Nets, East Rutherford, NJ, September 1997 – June 1998
- Managed existing and contacted prospective sponsorship accounts
- Wrote and edited a quarterly team sponsorship newsletter and research manual used by subsequent interns
- Bachelor of Science, Sports Management, Springfield College, December 2000
Greatest Accomplishments: I’m especially proud of the changes I brought to SI’s direct response TV ads, improving the production value and introducing subscription enticements with greater brand value and higher quality manufacturing. Overall, I’d say my greatest accomplishment has been my ability to evolve, transitioning through different facets of marketing world, mastering new skill sets along the way while bringing a creative and proactive approach to all that I’ve done.
Sell Yourself in 3 Sentences or Less: I am a passionate and creative marketer with a knack for learning on the fly and a talent for relationship management. I have varied experience within the sports marketing world that has given me a unique perspective and enables me to analyze and navigate situations from multiple vantage points.
You can connect with Dave on Twitter (@CutlerDave), through his LinkedIn page, at his recently launched blog at CutlerDave.com or by email at email@example.com. If you have an open opportunity with your organization or know of another company that can benefit from Dave’s experience, please reach out to him. I want to see this weekly feature really help some great people places into the industry positions they deserve.
Previous Free Agents of the Week:
- Mario Prosperino – Now working as a Licensing Manager with the Associated Press!
- Brendan Wilhide – Social media expert and founder of sportsin140.com
- Kerry Graue – Wealth of PR and media experience with a track record of success
- Catherine Marzi – Recently hired as a marketing consultant for the Langley Events Centre – Details Here!
- Jared Melzer – Recently hired by sports marketing & sponsorship start-up agency GlideSlope!
- Brett Bush – Great background in sports marketing and event operations
- Paul Hemingway – Experienced senior executive in corporate partnerships, marketing and communications
- Add your name to this list!