Pre-Super Bowl Thoughts

Super Bowl Sunday is just two days away, so I want to get some of your thoughts before the big game. Here are 10 questions to think about. Leave your answers in the comments below before the game starts, and then we’ll do a recap on Monday!

1. What company do you expect to produce the best commercial? How about the worst? The most controversial (besides Tebow’s)?
  2. Will Tim Tebow’s commercial be aired?
  3. How will the actual halftime performance by the Who impact the value that Bridgestone gets out of their sponsorship?
  4. Which presenting sponsor from the past two weeks got the greatest impact from their deal (McDonald’s for the Pro Bowl, Bridgestone for the halftime show, or GMC Sierra for the Super Bowl)?
  5. What player has the most to gain in terms of marketability and potential endorsement deals?
  6. Will the NFL’s #SB44 hash tag be the top trending topic on Twitter on Sunday?
  7. How will the ratings compare to last year? Could we have a record viewership?
  8. Which team winning would lead to the most merchandise sales?
  9. How successful of a year has this been for the NFL as a whole?
  10. Finally, who do you think will win the game?

Enjoy the game!

5 thoughts on “Pre-Super Bowl Thoughts

• February 5, 2010 at 1:44 pm

I’ll try…

1. a)truTV, b)Intel, c)My guess, U.S. Census Bureau. Pundits will debate why they wasted the money on a SB ad. Years later data will show Census returns skyrocket.
    2. Yes
    3. Win for Bridgestone
    4. Bridgestone
    5. Brees
    6. Yes, but Colts & Saints will trend higher.
    7. a)Comparable, b)No
    8. Saints
    9. As they say… your only as good as your last game.
    10. Colts

• February 5, 2010 at 1:56 pm

1. Best-Hyundai
    2. Yes
    3. Depends on what they do to make the moment last long after it is over.
    4. None, I think Sun Life trumped them all for naming he building.
    5. Drew Brees stands to gain a lot, but I think the bump could be bigger for Reggie Bush if he has a huge game.
    6. Should be. They smartly communicated it early and often.
    7. Most viewers ever, yes. Ratings will be up but not a record.
    8. Saints
    9. Very successful year, which all stakeholders will have to savor, because clouds are rolling in with the labor dispute.
    10. Colts 33 – Saints 27

• February 7, 2010 at 4:12 pm

1. Budweiser never fails to impress on Super Bowl Sunday. Also expect some of the smaller brands to show up big as well (i.e. Boost Mobile and KGB)

2. I don’t see why this commercial is such a big deal. I hope it airs just because of the right of free speech

3. Many of the 50+ year old community will be buying Bridgestone. Can the NFL move past the Janet Jackson incident and actually get a halftime show that will interest the general public?

4. Bridgestone has the best shot out of the 3. McDonald’s shouldn’t be effected by the Pro Bowl greatly because their brand name is huge. GMC is still going to struggle with truck sales in this economy.

5. Bush and Brees. Both are definitely the most recognizable faces on the Saints. Peyton is already big in the advertising community (see ESPN, Oreo, and DirecTV commercials since Super Bowl 41) so I don’t see a major change in advertising spots for him if the Colts win. If the Saints win, expect to see many feel-good advertisements incorporating Bush/Brees and Katrina.

6. Yes

7. Ratings should be higher than last year. This is the matchup every NFL fan big or small has wanted to see since week 4.

8. Both will be equal

9. Same success as always for the NFL. A little controversy (Vick’s return), a little tragedy (Chris Henry), and the excitement of 2 almost perfect teams should result in a positive year for the NFL.

10. Who dat say dey gon beat dem saints?

• February 7, 2010 at 4:42 pm

I guess I should leave my own predictions since I’m asking the questions:

1. Best – Budweiser and Denny’s
    2. Yes, it will air
    3. I think they’re going to put together a top 5 performance, which will keep people talking about the halftime for a few days.
    4. Bridgestone – better use of lead-up time. I just found out about GMC 2 days ago, and I bet Bridgestone’s deal was cheaper.
    5. Brees, but I think Colston or Dallas Clark could also take a leap with a big game.
    6. Yes, it should end up #1.
    7. Better than last year, but not a record.
    8. Saints, and I don’t think its close.
    9. Very successful, and a lot of the credit has to go to Favre, surprisingly enough. Now they need to fix the impending CBA issues!
    10. Saints are the story, but Colts get the win.

• February 7, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Oh, and Boost Mobile could end up with the best or the worst ad. Interested to see what direction it goes.

Comments are closed.