Career Tip: The handshake can say a lot!
We have all heard that when shaking someone’s hand, you shouldn’t squeeze too hard, present a wet noodle or shake too long. But did you know that there are guidelines telling us how many pumps, length of time and the amount of firmness used, as well as the little known fact that artisans, doctors and musicians are exceptions to the rule(s).
According to Brian Yates, author of the “How to Knock em dead” series, handshakes shouldn’t last more than 30 seconds. Pumping the hands should last between three (3) to six (6) pumps. And when dealing with artisans, doctors and musicians, be courteous when squeezing, they rely on their hands for their occupations and shouldn’t be judged by the firmness with which they present themselves. So, the next time you are out with friends, bore them to death with your “useless” trivia; however, the next time your on an interview, make sure you’re ready for the handshake.
Five Hot Jobs of the Week:
Don’t forget that we have an internal posting for a virtual internship with this site. Click here for the details on the position and instructions on how to apply!
- Director, Remote Operations – The Golf Channel (Orlando, FL) – Oversee all technical aspects of the tournament and studio type remote productions and other special programming. Responsibilities involve pre-planning and managing all technical activities on location including site surveys, new technology applications, managing vendor relationships and coordinating with host broadcasters.
- Associate Athletic Director for Development – Utah State University (Logan, UT) – The Associate Director of Athletics for Development/Major Gifts is responsible for raising gifts to support the mission, vision and priorities of Athletics. The position will focus on the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of identified athletics major gift donors.
- Assistant Women’s Golf Coach – San Diego State University (San Diego, CA) – Responsible for assisting in the direction of the Women’s Golf program, performing a variety of coaching functions related to the sport of Women’s Golf in the Athletic Department. Assist head coach in managing program within budget and assuring that program is effectively coordinated with training, equipment, and travel staff.
- Network Sales Manager – National Hockey League (New York, NY) – The Network Sales Manager is responsible for the procurement of advertising dollars from various revenue streams for LIVE event programming and original intrinsic programming on our Network.
- Sports Reporter – ASP Westward, L.P. (Houston, TX) – As a leader of community newspapers, we are seeking a community minded journalist for a Reporter position located in the Northwest Houston area. Under the direction of an editor, the reporter is responsible for gathering and analyzing information of newsworthy events in the community and writing stories for publications.
Sports Careers offers weekly, monthly or yearly subscriptions that provide full access to their career resources and job listings. Visit www.sportscareers.com for more information.