Career Tip of the Week – Informational Interviews
“I know I could get a job if I only had a network in the industry. They always say it is not who you know but who knows you”. Sound familiar? A conversation you might have had this past weekend in fact. Well, might I suggest that you dedicate yourself to conducting a few Informational Interviews.
Informational Interviews can be a great way to develop your network. These interviews allow you to find out key information that will ultimately lead to your success in your job search. Asking key questions regarding daily work experiences will shed some light on the responsibilities and duties you will have to be prepared to perform when you apply for a position. A different line of questioning will show you the career track that your interviewee took in order to get to where they are today. This information can help you plan your career track or at least help you discover new possibilities.
The informational Interview will be a great asset to your job search. The experience will only enhance your knowledge about the industry. And, if conducted professionally, at the end of the interview you should have a new contact in the industry.
Five Hot Jobs of the Week
- Director, Series Marketing – NASCAR (Daytona Beach, FL) – We are looking for a dynamic marketing professional who will manage and oversee our three national series sponsorships: Sprint, Nationwide and Camping World.
- Accounting Coordinator/Accounts Payable – Washington Capitals (Washington, DC) – Responsible for the accounts payable process of both teams, the calculation of monthly sales commissions, preparing sponsorship and miscellaneous invoices, and other related duties.
- Desktop Technician – Los Angeles Dodgers (Los Angeles, CA) – We are looking for a talented individual to join our Information Technology team. This role will be responsible for client desktop certifications and updates, and provifing 2nd level end user and server support when needed.
- Sports Marketing & PR Internship – ESBL Sports Management (New York, NY) – I currently do the Marketing and PR for 4 elite NFL players and am looking for 2 interns in NYC this fall. I need you to be hard working, motivated, knowledgeable of the NFL, and hungry for success.
- Vice President, Finance – San Diego Padres (San Diego, CA) – Develops, motivates and leads a well-trained, efficient team that represents our organization in a positive and professional manner. Oversees and manages finance, accounting, purchasing and payroll, and prepares the annual budget.
Sports Careers offers weekly, monthly or yearly subscriptions that provide full access to their career resources and job listings. Visit www.sportscareers.com for more information.