Interactive Campaign from Arizona State

Arizona State Football just released a new interactive marketing piece called the “Arizona State Football Experience.” It’s framed as a message from Coach Dennis Erickson, and the video does a great job of taking you from the practice field to the Hall of Fame at Sun Devil Stadium and up to the coach’s office, interacting with the players, Sparky and then Coach Erickson himself.  All throughout the video, your name is integrated into various parts of the footage. The “experience” is capped off by a phone call from the coach, from which you have the option to connect directly to the ASU sales office to buy your tickets.  Finally, there is an option at the end of the video to forward it on to friends, and the page features links to the major social networking sites to encourage viral distribution.

The thing I like most about this one is that the personality of the participants comes through, particularly in the elevator scene.  That part of the clip may seem somewhat silly, but to me it helped create a more genuine connection to the athlete and the football program.  Click on the image below to experience the “experience” for yourself.

asu-interactive

These types of interactive elements have gained a lot of popularity over the past few months.  It started with Gonzaga’s women’s basketball campaign, and I’ve seen similar campaigns recently from the Miami Dolphins and the Philadelphia Flyers.  Clearly these integrated, experiential videos seem to be more effective in engaging the viewer, which should in turn help convert these viewers into buyers.

10 thoughts on “Interactive Campaign from Arizona State

• June 16, 2009 at 2:13 pm

This is amazing. What a great campaign!

• Pingback: Sports Business Digest

• June 26, 2009 at 12:36 pm

What program was used to make this? Flash based? This would be a great tool for season ticket sales for the team i work for.

• June 26, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I don’t know the specific way the campaign was built. I know that ASU used a company called “Blind Society” and both the Dolphins and Flyers used “Channel 1 Media” (who just put out another similar campaign for the LA Kings)

• June 26, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Hi Mike,
    If you are at all interested in learning more about this site that we built or any of our other teams, I’d be happy to talk to you directly and in more detail about the project. We’ve engineered a proprietary system that is highly affordable for the team. Please call me at 480.317.1313 x101 or email me at Jeremy.watson@blindsociety.com with any questions.

Best regards,
    Jeremy Watson
    Blind Society

• June 26, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Just to me fair across all vendors, I know at least 5 companies that run these types of campaigns:

– Channel 1 Media
    – Vontoo
    – Blind Sociery
    – Row 27 Marketing
    – Magner Sanborn

I’m sure there are more, but I wanted to throw the whole list out there so everyone had a chance to succeed. Thanks!

• September 22, 2009 at 3:55 pm

These interactive videos aren’t just limited to sports marketing, either! Colleges and universities are using it to reduce melt rates, and retain students. Follow me on Twitter @VontooTyler to stay up to speed.

Comments are closed.