Mike Mahoney said on May 28th, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Great post Russell,I agree with your expectations comment especially. Working for a team is what a lot fo folks want but there are lots of ways to work in sports. A brand would be a great place to work but you need to start thinking small.

Tyler @ NHL Digest said on May 28th, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Working in the sports industry is like a lot of others. It takes time to get yourself established. For instance the current director fo season ticket sales for the Washington Capitals started his career 8 years ago as an intern for the Bowie Baysox (Minor league baseball team).
“Expectation management” is very important in the industry.

7th Woman said on May 28th, 2009 at 8:34 pm

I only have one comment. Besides the down turn in the economy, the fact that many sports are seasonal also effects employment trends and leads to a high turn over rate especially when times are bad.

Bud Bilanich said on June 1st, 2009 at 10:13 am

Great post Russell:
Sports careers are like any other. You have to clarify your goals, commit to making them happen, become self confident, and then develop the skills and competencies it takes to succeed in a highly competitive field.
All the best,
Bud Bilanich
The Common Sense Guy

Garrett L Newman said on June 1st, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I’m just trying to get my foot in the door…

Brian Bileski said on June 2nd, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Truth be told you don’t need a degree to get into sports management. What you need is to work hard and shake a lot of hands and never hold a grudge. Just like in any profession – hard work leads to opportunity. When opportunity comes knocking you’ve got to answer. But opportunity doesn’t come without making things happen through commitment and effort.

tshellock11 said on June 3rd, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Well, I’m a sport managament major at York College of Pennsylvania, and I knew coming in that I had to be more realistic about what I wanted to do. Unfortunately for me, my realistic job was to be a sportswriter for the Philadelphia Inquirer. It’s a good thing I decided to minor in public relations and Spanish, because I believe this will only help me as I pursue a PR position in baseball – an industry with a growing rate of Spanish-speaking individuals. Does anyone have any further advice for me?